Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign. We are working hard to minimise any disruption. You may find more information in the Additional Information section below.
The British Embassy is part of the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), worldwide network of 270 Posts, representing British political, military, economic, and consular interests overseas.
The main purpose of job is to provide a professional and efficient consular service to visiting and resident British nationals in Andalusia. To provide consistent and reliable support to the consular team. To be a fully engaged and proactive member of the team.
- Handle counter, telephone and written enquiries from the general public and local authorities.
- Print and issue Emergency Travel Documents – including facilitating customer interviews.
- Cancel recovered passports and driving licences.
- Promote improvements to customer experience.
- Assist consular officers with casework, as appropriate.
- Ensure a tidy public waiting room, well stocked leaflets, and up-to-date notice boards.
- Administration of post visits - book hotels, prepare programmes & welcome packs.
- Provide general office support, which might include - health and safety, IT, accounts, management information support, filing/weeding, and control of working stocks of consular IT and stationery.
Prevention and communication
- Contribute to the development and delivery of prevention priorities.
Notarial and documentary services
- Contact customers within 48 hours of receiving their pack from Madrid.
- Prepare notarial acts for signature, check applications for documentary services, record appropriately.
- Understand your role in a crisis, and adequately prepare to perform it.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work collaboratively with colleagues in Spain and the UK;
- Attention to detail and problem solving skills;
- Ability to work at pace and prioritise, managing a heavy workload;
- Excellent communication skills – written and oral. Fluency in both English and Spanish.
- IT skills (Outlook, PowerPoint, Word and Excel);
- Occasional travel may be required so a full clean driving licence is required;
- Key qualities are flexibility, empathy and a high level of resilience.
- Knowledge and experience of using social media.
- An understanding of the issues that British nationals, tourists and residents in Spain, may face.
This is a part-time fixed term 12-month contract to provide additional capacity during the transition of our Emergency Travel Document service and Brexit.
The successful candidate is subject to a confirmation of a background check, security clearance and the successful completion of a probationary period.
The successful candidate will be enrolled in the Spanish Social Security Scheme and will therefore not be entitled to any gratuity from the Embassy based on gross annual salary.
The Embassy is a Diplomatic Mission with tax exempt status and does not collect taxes for other States. Employees are fully responsible for payment of income tax at the legally required rate. Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Spain are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local Spanish employment law.
Visa / Passport requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Spain and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract. Additional requirements may become necessary pending EU Exit. If requirements change additional eligibility, information will be shared during the recruitment process.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
FCDO does not pay for travel related expense incurred in interviews (including Security Check) or accept any financial risk, including cancelation or reschedule costs. The FCDO will not meet the costs connected with relocation if offered a position.
Additional Information (due to Covid-19):
You may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption;
Interviews will be done remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action;
Starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and it will be agreed with the selected candidate.