Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption.
The Consular Office Manager position, based at the British Consulate in Malaga, supports the two very busy teams located at this consular post (the Malaga Consular Contact Centre and the Malaga Consular operation), as well as the Emergency Travel Document (ETD) Centre (with sites at BE Madrid, BHC Singapore & BHC Ottawa). For the latter it coordinates its budget. The Consular Office Managerrole is authoritative in the estates, procurement, finance, IT and workforce management operational areas. It involves many tasks, including organising and coordinating office operations and procedures, enabling capacity in the Contact Centre Management team through workforce management activities, and supporting the Spain Corporate Services team.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
The job holder underpins the smooth running of the Malaga Consulate and Consular Contact Centre operations, with responsibility for:
- Facilities and estates management for the Malaga office;
- Assisting with Health and Safety requirements and coordinating visits by Technical Works Officers from the Estates and Security Directorate (ESD);
- Providing assistance with the recruitment, clearance and training of new staff for the Consular Contact Centre.
Working closely with the CCC Director, the job holder is responsible for:
- Monitoring spend against the staff, travel and training budget;
- Keeping records of spend and providing forecasts;
- Managing other unit resources, e.g. stationery orders, cleaning products.
Staff Management & Development
The job holder manages four direct reports, all of whom have global remits and create impact for the British people overseas using our services and for the global consular network alike: responsibility for their induction, development and coaching.
- Language: effective operational proficiency in English and Spanish, both spoken and written, at European Framework of Languages C1 level minimum. Any other language will be an advantage;
- Three years or more experience in planning and managing budgets, ideally in government, either central or local;
- Experience in the procurement of services, ideally in government, either central or local;
- Experience in a management position leading staff;
- Strong Negotiation and Communication skills;
- Experience working autonomously and across a wide international network (establishing and maintaining remote working relationships);
- Advanced level of Excel and excellent use of Word, PowerPoint and Outlook;
- Qualified and experienced user of financial planning and budgeting tools and online reporting system (OBIEE and Hyperion or other reporting tools);
- Availability to work unsociable hours.
- Experience working for the FCDO and overseas public sector.
This is a full-time permanent contract. Normal working hours are 37.5 per week.
The salary for the B3 ES is 44,076.36€ yearly.
The successful candidate will work on a shift-rotation basis from Monday - Sunday (i.e. varying work schedule each week). They will be required to work unsociable hours regularly, weekends and public holidays, depending on business needs. Unsociable hours are compensated in line with British Embassy Madrid’s Terms and Conditions of Service (TACOS) for Locally Engaged staff.
The candidate will be offered Learning and Development Opportunities, such as:
- Achieve a deeper understanding of the wide range of consular services that the Consular Directorate delivers;
- Attain a better insight of the work done by the front-line consular teams at posts;
- Acquisition of customer service best practices;
- Improve networking and negotiation skills when dealing with external and internal customers alike.
The successful candidate is subject to a confirmation of a background check, security clearance and the successful completion of a probationary period.
The successful candidate will be enrolled in the Spanish Social Security Scheme and will therefore not be entitled to any gratuity from the Embassy based on gross annual salary.
The Embassy is a Diplomatic Mission with tax exempt status and does not collect taxes for other States. Employees are fully responsible for payment of income tax at the legally required rate. Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Spain are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local Spanish employment law.
Visa / Passport requirements: candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Spain and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract. Additional requirements may become necessary after 31st December 2020.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
FCDO does not pay for travel related expense incurred in interviews (including Security Check) or accept any financial risk, including cancelation or reschedule costs. The FCO will not meet the costs connected with relocation if offered a position.
* Please refer to the “Common European Framework of Reference for Languages”. We are looking for a C1 level or equivalent. CEFR indicates Level C1 as mastery or proficiency level which can understand a wide range of demanding, longer texts, and recognise implicit meaning. Can express him/herself fluently and spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions. Can use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes. Can produce clear, well-structured, detailed text on complex subjects, showing controlled use of organisational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your languages skills are going to be assessed.
Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your languages skills are going to be assessed.
Additional Information (due to COVID 19):
You may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption;
Interviews will be done remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action;
Starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and it will be agreed with the selected candidate.