Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
The British Consular Network in Spain is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking for an Honorary Consul in Menorca.
With over 300,000 British residents and 15 million British tourists annually, Spain is the Foreign & Commonwealth Office’s busiest consular operation globally. The selected candidate will assist the dynamic and professional team based in the Balearics, in providing a high quality consular service to vulnerable British nationals abroad.
This role reports directly into the British Consulate in Palma.
Roles and Responsibilities
* Maintain excellent relationships with local Spanish Authorities and British stakeholders, as set out by the British Consulate in Palma.
* Deliver consular assistance and support to vulnerable British Nationals, when required including hospitalisations, deaths, detentions and cases of rape or sexual assault.
Examples of the support required may include:
* Visiting patients and providing support to emotional families in cases of serious hospitalisation
* Providing support to bereaved families, accompanying to the funeral director on occasions if needed.
* Visiting prisoners or accompanying victims of sexual assault to court, police or hospital.
* In the event of an emergency or crisis involving British nationals, provide superintending post in Palma with reliable and immediate ‘on the ground’ information. Liaise with local authorities and help to provide consular assistance as necessary.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including an ability to support customers in traumatic or difficult circumstances.
* Fluency in both English and Spanish (a minimum of C2 level**);
* Good IT skills (use of Outlook, PowerPoint, Word and Excel essential);
* Key qualities are flexibility, empathy and resilience.
* Full driving licence
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
* University degree
* Experience of assisting British nationals overseas
* An understanding of the issues that British nationals in Spain may face, both tourists and residents
Required competencies: Collaborating and Partnering, Making Effective Decisions, Managing a Quality Service, Leading and Communicating.
Other benefits and conditions of employment
The position of Honorary Consul is voluntary and non-salaried. An honorarium of £2,300 is paid.
The successful candidate will be expected to meet consular standards and targets, and appropriate training will be provided to ensure service delivery.
The successful candidate will be subject to a confirmation of a background check and security clearance is expected to commence employment as soon as possible.
Regarding taxation, the Embassy is a Diplomatic Mission with tax exempt status and does not collect taxes for other States. Honorary Consuls are fully responsible for payment of Spanish income tax at the legally required rate.
How to submit an application
Send a CV and covering letter explaining how your skills meet the requirements of this position and why you are interested in this position. Send to SpainHHRR.email@example.com stating the name of the position in the subject line.
es un puesto honorario, que recibe un honorarium de 2300 libras al año